resilience starts with information
Turkey ends rescue efforts after earthquake toll reaches 41
Turkey called off rescue operation on Monday in eastern areas hit by Friday’s earthquake after emergency workers recovered the body of an final person they were searching for in collapsed building, bringing the death toll to 41, authorities said. The magnitude 6.8 quake caused 37 deaths in Elazig, about 550km east of Ankara, and four in neighbouring Malatya. More than 1600 others were hurt including 86 still being treated in hospitals, though none were in serious condition, the government said. Fort-five people had been rescued from under ruined buildings, Turkey’s Disaster Emergency Authority (AFAD) said.
Authorities have warned resident not to enter damaged buildings because of the danger of collapse and further aftershocks, leaving many without a home in a region where temperature fell to -6C on Monday morning….
Turkey earthquake: death toll rises as search for survivors continues
A powerful 6.8-magnitude earthquake in eastern Turkey has killed at least 29 people, with the death toll expected to rise as rescuers search for survivors under the rubble in freezing winter conditions.
The quake late on Friday injured at least a further 1,200 people in the hardest-hit Elazig and Malatya provinces and was followed by more than 390 aftershocks, 14 of which had magnitudes above 4 which were felt as far away as Iran and Lebanon.
Rescue teams used their hands, drills and mechanical diggers through the night, managing to pull 39 people from the rubble alive as the temperature dropped to -8C (17.6F). At least 22 more people are trapped under collapsed buildings, Turkey’s disaster and emergency authority (Afad) said on Saturday, and rescue efforts were still under way at three different sites in Elazig.
Hundreds of people waited anxiously behind police barriers for any sign of missing relatives. Among those found alive was a pregnant woman who was rescued 12 hours after the quake hit, although her 12-year-old son later died…
Turkey probes dozens over fake social media posts about deadly earthquake
Turkish prosecutors are investigating dozens of people for “provocative” social media messages about the deadly earthquake in eastern Turkey, reports said on Monday.
The death toll from Friday’s quake in Elazig province had reached 39 people as hopes dimmed of finding more survivors amid the rubble.
The Ankara prosecutor’s office is checking 50 individuals on suspicion of “spreading fear and panic” and “insulting the Turkish people, the Turkish republic and the state institutions”, the Hurriyet daily said…