resilience reporter

resilience starts with information

How the world breaks: An intimate look at recent global natural weather disasters

Flood-mitigation project would replace Boulder Creek bridges

bridge

University of Colorado Boulder planners are inviting public input on a flood-mitigation project that would include removing a pair of bridges over Boulder Creek and replacing them with one.

University of Colorado Boulder planners are inviting public input on a flood-mitigation project that would include removing a pair of bridges over Boulder Creek and replacing them with one.

The $3.8-million project includes removing the 21st Street Bridge and the Stadium Bridge that is just to the east. Both bridges connect Parking Lot 169 on the north side of the creek to pedestrian paths on the south side of the creek. CU Boulder is applying for funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency that would cover 75 percent of the cost of the project, with the university planning to fund the other 25 percent. The project is contingent upon Board of Regents approval in June.

The new bridge, to be constructed about 75 feet east of where the Stadium Bridge is now, would connect Lot 169 with the Buff Walk pedestrian thoroughfare that…

 

How the world breaks: An intimate look at recent global natural weather disasters

Stan Cox and Paul Cox describe the destructive force of nature in the context of climate change

The reader of “How the World Breaks” must be agile. The book demands that one navigate between several modes of consciousness in order to face the reality of human input into the “weather on steroids” that is routine these days. “How the World Breaks” takes us on a long tour, but not one launched with vacation or adventure in mind; rather it books us in at one disaster site, then another, and another. Led by our worthy guides, we visit the scene of 2013’s Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines in which entire settlements were washed away and some 6,300 people killed…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

MORE RESOURCES

MORE RESOURCES

%d bloggers like this: